6.13.2009

Barbara Chandler & Nine Who Care


CONGRATULATIONS BARBARA CHANDLER

FINALIST WSOC 9 WHO CARE
My name is Barbara Chandler and I live in Indian Trail, NC and I currently work at Matthew’s Presbyterian Hospital as a surgical tech. After 22 years of service in the Army, I found myself starting a whole new journey. In 2005, I came in contact with a few families having to decide whether to pay their monthly expenses such as rent, mortgage, car insurance, utilities etc… or buy the groceries they needed for their families. I decided to take food from my own pantry and deliver it to them. I never imagined how this simple gesture would grow into helping more than a 1,000 people every month. In 2006 four friends launched Common Cupboard, in Indian Trail, NC delivering groceries to a few families, and today, the Cupboard consists of 70+ volunteers bringing a week’s worth of groceries to families in need. Others, such as schools, churches, youth groups, Scouts, community organizations, local businesses, and the post office run food drives and help in many other ways. The Cupboard is an agent of Second Harvest Metrolina, which helps maximize the value of cash donations given to Common Cupboard. I really want to win the Nine Who Care promotion, so that Common Cupboard can receive the $2,000 dollar prize. With the current economy, more and more families are losing their sources of income, losing their health insurance, and losing their homes. These are the families that Common Cupboard help, these are your friends, your family, your co-workers, and your neighbors. With the $2,000 Common Cupboard can help 500 more people by delivering a week’s worth of groceries.











No comments: